Family

Family

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Brooklyn {One Week}

One week old as of 4/5/2016. It has been a hectic week around here, so I am a few days late and into week #2 already:)






Update: Brooklyn has been AHHH-mazing!! Honestly, our biggest struggle has been Bennett. He is so very active and LOUD! You do not realize how loud he really is or how much he talks (bless his little heart, I just love his personality, so do not get me wrong, I love his outgoing, talkative nature) until all you want him to do is quiet down. On the plus side, it does not seem to phase Brooklyn whatsoever. This girl has spent the first week of her life asleep. We have been able to give Bennett some of the attention he is craving and luckily Brooklyn's constant state of sleepiness has allowed us this time with him. Plus, my mom spent the first few days home with us and I cannot begin to tell you how much of a help she was, especially with Bennett and cooking us some meals!!
 

Length, Weight, Percentiles: Brooklyn had her 1 week checkup a bit early as she had lost more than 8% of her birth weight when we left the hospital. When we left the hospital, she was 7 lbs 12 oz. and as of 6 days old, she was back up to 8 lbs 4 oz, so no concerns with weight gain.






Features: Brooklyn very much resembles Bennett, but in a very dainty, girly way. She has the same dark grey eyes and light brown/blonde hair. Their noses are the only thing that I can tell is different. The shape of their eyes and mouths are very similar. Bennett had baby acne from the first day he was born and as of 1 week old, I haven't noticed any baby acne on Brooklyn.




Sleep: Rocking it. The first few nights she woke up more frequently but at 5 days old and through today, she has been going down at 10-10:30 PM and waking up once between 2-3 AM, and back down again until 6:30-7 AM. I remember Bennett having a very similar nighttime schedule. Currently, Brooklyn is sleeping in our room and I have no issues with it. Bennett was a very noisy nighttime sleeper and Brooklyn is so quiet. We moved Bennett into his room after 1 week. As of right now, Brooklyn is just fine sleeping in our room. During the day she still sleeps a lot. She wakes up to eat and for diaper changes, but for the most part, getting a lot of sleep in and very content. This has made it an easy transition for us with Bennett. We have been able to pay some extra attention to him.




Diet: This is also going very well. My milk did not come in until 4 days after she was born, so on Saturday we supplemented with 1/2 oz. of formula which homegirl sucked right down, and promptly went right back to sleep for 4 or 5 hours! We figured she was getting more hungry. Since then, my milk came in, and she has been eating every 3-4 hours. I have also been pumping 2 or 3 times a day to provide bottles for Bennett to help (and Josh of course). Brooklyn got her first bottle at 4 days old and Bennett was 11 days old. Case in point, I just am not worrying about that little stuff like I did with Bennett:)








First time at church. Bennett refused to be in a family picture. We had to take a separate one with him.


Us asking him to please get in the picture. The struggle is real.



First walk. It was extremely windy. The walk was a disaster.

Clothes: All newborn but also will not last as long as they did on Bennett. Glad we did not buy a whole lot of newborn stuff!

Diapering: Newborn diapers, which will not last long on this little (big) girl.





Social: She spends about an hour awake first thing in the morning, then 20-30 minutes here and there during the day, and again about an hour at 8:30-9 PM in the evening. She has the most adorable/funny faces as if she is just WOW'ed by everything around her that does catch her eye.




Likes: Just like her big brother, movement and vibration and so far a great car rider. Eating, being cuddled and warm, skin to skin, being swaddled at nighttime.

Dislikes: Pretty standard for an infant-Baths and Diaper Changes. 




Mama: Recovery has been much easier this time around. Not sure if it is because I knew what to expect or if it just is easier because I had less......damage. I had some lower back pain in the end of my pregnancy with Brooklyn that I am seeing a Chiropractor for now since I noticed it hasn't gone away. I also took Brooklyn to see the Chiropractor at 6 days old. I find myself so much more laid back this time around with her. Less worried about her eating/sleeping/pooping patterns and just letting her tell me what she needs. I worry most about Bennett and his transition. I can definitely notice a difference in his little personality, it is much more attention-seeking. If we do something or respond to something with him, and he notices it gets our attention, he will continue to do that and take it to the next extreme. I am hoping it is all normal and soon he will settle into our "new normal." Don't get me wrong, he is SO incredibly sweet with Brooklyn and is constantly kissing her, asking about her, asking to hold her, but he definitely knows she is getting attention that he is accustomed to.




Overall, Week #1 was fairly easy. Day 1 and 2 was hectic at home and getting used to Bennett, Brooklyn and life but the week has gotten easier. And overall easier than I remembered with Bennett. It is amazing how well Brooklyn has fit into our routine and life so quickly, maybe it is because she is always asleep so we hardly notice she is around (ha I tease, but no seriously). I find myself really soaking up all the baby cuddles. I worry less about her and enjoy my time with her. Monday Josh goes back to work and Bennett heads back to daycare a few days a week. I'd be lying if I said I am not a little excited. It is bittersweet. I love having Josh and Bennett home!!! But ready to get some rest and soak up these precious newborn days with her. My maternity leave with her is going to go by so quickly, so I want to enjoy every last moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment