Family

Family

Monday, September 23, 2013

10 Things I have learned about about motherhood


(Hanging out with Mom in bed right after Dad went to work, we love our little morning cuddle sessions in bed)
 

1.    I do more laundry now than I ever have in my LIFE!!!
I have never been one to enjoy doing laundry (who does?!) but in the past 6 weeks, we have done more laundry than I ever thought I would in my life! Josh and I usually could get away with doing laundry once a week for the two of us, now we are lucky to get through a day without throwing a load of laundry in, whether it be our clothes, Bennett’s clothes, Baby bedding, or our bedding (baby poop and spit up-side note, I no longer change diapers on our bed….it took me two blow outs to learn that lesson)

2.  Showers are a luxury
I am lucky to take a shower once a day, let alone put on makeup or do my hair (ponytails are the norm around here). Something about a screaming baby just takes the relaxation right out of a shower….Weekend showers are my favorite, Josh can take care of Bennett, I don’t hear him screaming, or have to run out, soaking wet, mid shower to pop his binkie back in his mouthJ

3.  Nap time=productivity
I know they say sleep when baby sleeps, but I am not a napper, never have been. And I really am not that tired during the day. I try to catch up on housework (and blogging!) while Bennett naps. He has been taking one really good nap a day (about 2 hours), otherwise, he cat naps the rest of the day and that is usually in my arms because by the time I put him down, he wakes right back up.

4.  Breastfeeding is hard, really hard…..but so worth it!
I have always wanted to breastfeed, and have been very adamant on doing it for as long as I can. That is until we started having issues…..This week in particular, I have been wrestling with the idea of introducing formula into Bennett’s daily intake. Sometimes I just don’t feel like he is eating enough. He thrashes around so hard, claws at my chest, screams at the top of his lungs, and is so squirmy I can hardly hold him still. He has had gas issues too and I have a feeling formula will just take that worse, so I really can’t decide what to do. But on the flip side, I love nursing him, I have such a bond with him and when he is cooperative, it really is relaxing for me. I want to give him a bottle of formula so badly when we are frustrated, but when it comes down to it, it just makes me sad the thought of my little guy getting bigger and eventually not needing me solely for his nourishment.

5.  The internet is a blessing and a curse
I read/research EVERYTHING, and I know this drives Josh crazy. I love seeing how other mothers resolve their issues and get advice, but at the same time I read things and immediately think this is the issue my baby has. At one point during the last 6 weeks Bennett has “potentially” had the following: Colic, Silent Reflux, Thrush, Lactose Intolerance, Gas issues from taking in milk too quickly (which is still the best and most logical answer).

6.  Pee, Poop, and Spit up….oh my!
I have been peed on, pooped on, spit up on and I don’t care in the least. Refer to point #1 on why we do so much laundry.

7.   Babies will eventually create their own schedule
Again, using the internet as a crutch, I have done quite a bit of research on starting Bennett on a schedule. However, little guy is developing a pretty good routine on his own and I am very pleased with how things are going (it’s actually getting easier day by day!). Now, if we could just stretch his feeding schedule out from eating every 2 hours to every 3 to 4 hours life would get a lot easier, but until then, I am just fine with how things are going. No need to ruin a good thing.  

8.  Get to know your neighbors (or move on the same block as your relatives)
I know that not everyone has this luxury, but I never knew how beneficial and how much I would LOVE living next to Nate and Emily until we had Bennett. Luckily for me, Emily is home 3-4 days a week and loves to help out when she can! So showers, housework, etc can be done while her and Grace come hang out with Bennett, or I take him over there. Not only that, but we go on walks, we play together, and she is just another adult to talk to when I feel like I need some adult interaction. Word of advice, if you know of any stay at home moms in your neighborhood, get to know them…WELL!!!! It is a blessing down the road when they want to help you outJ

9.  Babies don’t always sleep
I always thought newborn babies slept all the time, and I thought I would have all this time to bake, do crafts, catch up on tv shows, do housework, etc while I was on my maternity leave. FYI-Bennett is NOT a sleeper that is for sure. He doesn’t nap very much during the day. Little catnaps throughout the day, and (sometimes) 1 longer nap (usually 2-3 hours). Furthermore, he doesn’t stay asleep when I put him down when he is in catnap mode…..so I have bought myself a Baby K’tan and have started “wearing” him around the house so I can get some things done. He loves it, and almost instantly falls asleepJ although he doesn’t sleep very much during the day, it took me a couple weeks to relax and make myself sit and hang out with him while he wants to nap on me, holding him. These moments are fleeting, and he is going to be too big soon to WANT to nap on me anymore. I have forced myself to relax and cherish these moments as a newborn and I hold him as much as he wantsJ

10. Cherish every moment
It only took me a couple of sleepless nights, a few bad nursing sessions, and the catnap/”wanting to be held all the time” issue to force myself to realize how important and precious these moments are with him. He isn’t going to be a baby forever, and I am already amazed at how big he has gotten. Soon, I will have to go back to work and I will regret not holding him for that extra nap, or getting up with him in the middle of the night to nurse him and spend quality quiet time with him. I love him so much and I am sad to see him get bigger by the day. Now instead of grumbling and getting frustrated, I have tried to remind myself: “He loves you and needs you right now, his only way of communicating with you is by crying, and he isn’t going to be this little forever and you will look back and want your little precious baby back.” He is our life, and we thank God every day for giving us him and trusting us to be his parents. Yes, we get frustrated and sometimes live by the “can’t wait” motto (Can’t wait until he’s big enough to sit up and play, Can’t wait for him to sleep through the night, Can’t wait to not have to rock him to sleep every night, etc. etc.) but we will look back and miss these moments, so it is best to cherish them now and savor every last second he is our little baby boy.


(Baby smiles are hard to capture! They happen so fast, here are a couple of good ones I got this past week!!!)

 
 
(PS, doesn't Bennett look EXACTLY like Josh as a baby?!?!
I am BLOWN away by the resemblance!)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment